ABOVE: Photo of the current sanctuary of Christ the King Episcopal Church, designed by Nils Schweizer and built in 1961.
Christ the King Episcopal Church – In the Beginning
Founded in January, 1955, Christ the King Episcopal Church held its first services in the Azalea Park sales office of Phillips Properties on Lake Barton Road (now known as South Semoran Blvd.) The growing congregation soon moved to their newly built sanctuary on Willow Drive, on one of the several two-acre lots donated by developer Wellborn C. Phillips for churches to be built in the newly formed Azalea Park. The current sanctuary was completed in 1961 and the previous sanctuary then (as now) served as the congregation’s fellowship hall.
2nd and 4th Grade Classrooms – 1966-1967
Here is a class photo from the 1966-67 school year second grade. Elma Johnson was the teacher and the Reverend Willard Lynn was the Headmaster.
Here is a class photo from the 1966-67 school year fourth and fifth grade. Helen Smythe was the teacher and the Reverend Willard Lynn was the Headmaster.
Parish Work Day
This undated photo from the Florida Magazine of the Orlando Sentinel shows many members of the church (and the rector) busy sprucing up the facility and grounds one summer.
Mentioned: Father Russell, Father Lynn.
Do you have a memory about Christ the King Episcopal Church to share? Please contact us.