The images and documents presented here provide a look at the world of Captain Charles L. Albertson from his career with the New York Police Department in the early 1900s and his life in Waverly, New York through his death in 1932 here in Orlando.
His hand written accounts of his experiences as an Inspector and eventually Captain in the New York Police Department are priceless. The accounts of criminals he knew and the crimes they committed indicate he had an interesting time in New York, to say the least.
The most in depth look at the life of Captain Charles L. Albertson up to 1905 was published on the front page of the January 19, 1906 Waverly Free Press, his hometown newspaper.
Captain Albertson was a winter resident of Orlando for many years and, in November 1921, he agreed to donate his entire library, as described in the Waverly Free Press, to the City of Orlando. The announcement was featured on the front page of the November 11, 1921 Evening Report Star.
The library named for him, opened on November 8, 1928 with much fanfare as reported in the November 8, 1928 Evening Reporter Star.
The news of Captain Charles L. Albertson’s death here in Orlando on October 28, 1932 was published on the front page of the Orlando Morning Sentinel on 29 October 1932.
Finally, the obituary of Captain Charles L. Albertson was published in the Orlando Morning Sentinel on October 30, 1932 p. 2 A.
The Albertson Public Library no longer resides at the corner of Central and Rosalind, but Captain Charles L. Albertson will forever be regarded as the man who’s gift of books and vertical files forever changed Orlando and improved the lives of her residents.
See images and documents under attachments.
"The Autobiography of Captain Charles L. Albertson", a retired Police Inspector of New York City, and a winter resident of Orlando, who had for many years been collecting books at his home in Waverly, New York and in November 1920, offered his collection to the City of Orlando, on the condition that it furnish a suitable building to house it.
The contract between the city of Orlando and Captain Albertson provided that Orlando would accept the gift of the Albertson collection and furnish the library building; that the library should be known as the Albertson Public Library; that Captain Albertson should be Advisory Superintendent of the Library throughout his lifetime; and that Orlando should suitably maintain the Library.
Portrait of Captain Charles L. Albertson, whose personal library donation to the City of Orlando helped to create the Albertson Public Library, now the downtown Main Library of the Orange County Library System.
This is a resolution passed by the Albertson Public Library Board honoring Captain Charles L. Albertsson for his vast contributions to the Library. The resolution was passed soon after his death.
The Family Biography Entry of Captain Charles L. Albertson in the "History of Waverly, New York."
Mentioned: Captain Charles Albertson, Eiselstein Funeral Home, Reverend P. M. Smock, College Park Baptist Church, Waverly New York, Albertson Public Library, Lake Jennie Jewel, Mrs. Lillian Albertson, Lewis Albertson, Caroline Stewart Albertson, Addie M. West, Lewis Albertson, Earl Albertson, Dacie Albertson, Lillian N. Barnum, Charles L. Albertson, Waverly American Legion, Albertson Memorial Building, Elmira NY Chapter Sons of the American Revolution.
Front page story - Charles Albertson donating books to city to form library.
The article is featured on the front page along with accounts of the festive Veterans Day celebrations around town.
Article announces Charles L. Albertsons offer of his book collection to the city to form a library.
Evening Reporter Star masthead from 11 November 1923 announcing the opening of the Albertson Public Library.
No description has been added yet
The Albertson Library (Waverly, NY) is featured on the entire front page of the Waverly Free Press. The Press takes the reader room by room listing most of the titles on the shelves in the Library located in one of Captain Albertson's homes. This is historical for our own Orlando Public Library as these are most likely some of the works that were part of the collection donated by Captain Albertson to create the Albertson Public Library in Orlando.