PlacesSkip to the content

College Park Historic Homes Tour – West Lake Adair / South College Park, 1998

In the 1910’s and 20’s the area north of Colonial now called College Park was mostly grove land, ripe for development. In 1922 grove owner Theron J. Walker created the Edgewater subdivision from land he had held since 1906. He sold the subdivided land in 1923 to the citrus firm of Gentile Brothers, who replatted it in 1924 as Edgewater Heights and sold it to midwesterners. They operated through developer John P. Holbrook and his associate Lucie Prewitt. The success of this subdivision led in 1925 to Holbrook’s Edgewater Heights Section 2, on land an investor group bought from the Gentiles. In the 1880’s this land was owned by John W. Childress, who reportedly named Lake Adair for his wife.

Just to the south, building was already underway in Orange Park, subdivided in 1914 by George L. Atkins, Elwood W. Watson and N. B. Miller. Their property extended from Westmoreland (then called Reel) to what is now Orange Blossom Trail, and from Colonial to just beyond Atkins Place. Other street names were Ellwood and Watson (now Alba)…

Introductory excerpt from:

College Park Historic Homes Tour West Lake Adair / South College Park, November 22, 1998. (View Document)

The 8th historic homes tour project of the College Park Neighborhood Association Historical Committee.

Lake Adair House Tour Addresses:

1. 1010 Lake Adair Boulevard

2. 1127 Overbrook Drive

3. 1101 Seville Place

4. 1019 Seville Place

5. 818 Ellwood Avenue

Also noted:

1100 Overbrook Drive

1118 Overbrook Drive

1132 Overbrook Drive

1135 Overbrook Drive

811 Ellwood Avenue

1029 Alba Drive

831 Westmoreland Drive

Document courtesy of the College Park Neighborhood Association Historical Committee.

Back to top
TAGS: , , , , , , , , , ,
ATTACHMENTS

Leave a Comment