According to the 1927 Orlando city directory, Orlando Senior High School was located on east Robinson street between north Summerlin Avenue and north Hyer Avenue. If you are familiar with Orlando, you know that this is the location of present day, Howard Middle School.
Look at all the photos and join the discussion.
Board of Education 1st Page 2nd Page According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the following persons were members of the Board of Education: Mr. C. E. Howard – Chairman of the Board, Mrs. F. E. Godfrey, Dr. R. P. Buckmaster, M. L. Altstetter – City Superintendent, Miss Eunice Delaney – Assistant Superintendent.
1st Page According to the 1927 Orlando Senior High School yearbook, these faculty members are pictured here: Mrs. Ruth Thompson – Home Economics, Ruth E Mier – French, Clara L. Gathman – Assistant Principal, Luna Bowdoin – History, J. B. Walker – Principal, Lois Bryan – Latin, Alice Wood – Music, Mrs. Elma Smith – Commerce. Not pictured are Mrs. F. C. McClure – History, Walter B. Johnson – Science, William R. Boone – Biology, Leland A. Kirst – Mathematics, Mabel Hodges – Mathematics, and L. E. Davidson – Coach.
2nd Page According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the following members of the faculty are pictured on this page: W. C. Holly – History, Grace Bargeron – Mathematics, William P.Sullivan – Commerce, Eoline Everett – English, J. B. Bookhardt – Science, Agnes McConnell – Coach, Ruth S. Barker – English, Martha DeWald – English, Lois L. Burke – Commerce, Gwendolyn Giltner – Spanish. Not pictured are Mrs. W. Barnsley – English, Mrs. Basil Wilkinson – Library, G. M. Patch – Music, Elan Estil – History, Mrs. Louise Rogers – Latin, Norma Jo Daugherty – English.
1st Photo The 1927 “Las Memorias” annual staff: Daniel A. McKeever, Jr. – Editor in Chief, Frank Karel, Jr. – Business Manager, J. B. Bookhardt – Faculty Advisor.
2nd Photo The 1927 “Las Memorias” annual staff: Kathleen Kelly – Social Editor, Colfax Sanderson – Literary Editor, Merton Austin – Art Editor, Owen Rice – Athletic Editor, Edward B. Moyers – Comic Editor, Ralph Crandall – Picture Editor, Thomas Butt – Circulation Manager, Dudley Field – Advertising Manager.
Allegretto Club According to the 1927 Orlando Senior High School yearbook, the Allegretto Club was formed to foster high musical ideals among high school students. The club was organized just before the Christmas vacation, under the leadership of Miss Wood, head of the Department of Music. A program on January 31, 1927, was presented with the best local talent. The proceeds were used to defray the expenses of a delegation to the Annual State Choral Meet, which was held in Palm Beach on March 11, 1927. Pauline Bumby, President; Francis Pomeroy, Vice President; Alice Rogers, Secretary; Fayne Stafford, Treasurer, and Miss Wood, Faculty Sponsor.
Amateur Photographic Club According to the 1927 “Las Memorias,” the Amateur Photographic Club was organized in the fall of 1926, replacing the Kodak Club from the previous year. Ralph Crandall – President, John Parrott – Vice President, Florine Scott – Secretary, LeRoy Barnett – Treasurer. According to the 1927 “Las Memorias,” the Amateur Photographic Club was organized in the fall of 1926, replacing the Kodak Club from the previous year. Ralph Crandall – President, John Parrott – Vice President, Florine Scott – Secretary, LeRoy Barnett – Treasurer.
Art Club According to the 1927 “Las Memorias,” the Art Club members were Gertrude Carr, Mary Lee Hurkmer, Bernice Johnston, Walter Jordon, Robert Kieser / Keiser, Catherine Newbold, Florence Seibert, Virginia Young. Officers were Walter Jordon – President and Miss Bowdoin – Sponsor. The Art Club flower was the Indian Paint Brush. The club colors were Orange and Red.
Boosters Club According to the 1927 yearbook for Orlando High School, “the Boosters Club, a new organization in the South, made its debut at Orlando Senior High School at the beginning of the football season.” It was organized for the purpose of arousing and maintaining a greater school spirit and interest in all school activities.
The yearbook states: “This club took form directly after the first football game of the year, when the school spirit was decidedly conspicuous by its entire absence. Under the direction of Miss Lois Burke, the cheer leaders and a few more active and interested students, the nucleus of the club was formed. From this none too encouraging start, it grew until it was the largest club in the school. The membership was closed when it reached the two hundred mark. Under the leadership of Dan, the head cheer leader, parades were organized which aided in bringing people out to the games. Their pep meeting held at the Beachem Theatre, preceding the Daytona game, proved to the people of Orlando what the students of O.H.S. could do. Every movement started by the club was loyally backed by the business men of Orlando. The most outstanding example of this co-operation is the presentation of two hundred orange and white jockey caps with gold O.H.S.’s on the front, by Mr. Roth of the Mack Shop.”
Boys Hi-Y According to “Las Memorias” the Boys’ Hi-Y was established in 1918 and “maintained a high standard of Christian character throughout the school and the community.” They brought fame to O.H.S. at the Older Boys’ Conference at St. Augustine October 15-17 – Kenny Miller, local president, presiding. James Godfrey was appointed chairman of the Committee on Resolutions with Bill Bliss acting as secretary of the committee. A Benefit program consisting of two one-act plays and several vaudeville skits was given at Memorial High School on Friday, December 10 (1927). The proceeds were sent to the World Brotherhood. The annual canoe party, a straw ride out to Olivia Park, and the Father-Son Banquet were a few of the social events of 1927. Members include: Kenneth Miller – President, James Godfrey – Vice President, Richard Buckmaster – Secretary, Dan McKeever – Treasurer, Owen Rice – Assistant Chaplain, Dick Hibbard – Chaplain, and Mr. Bookhardt – Sponsor.
Cheer Leaders According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, Virginia Crenshaw, Daniel McKeever and June Beauvais were the Orlando Senior High Cheer Leaders. They are also mentioned by the football team as being responsible for cheering the team on to victory.
Debate Club According to “Las Memorias,” the Debate Club was organized in the early fall (1926). The affirmative team for the State Debate was composed of Kenneth Miller, Phyllis Penley, and alternate Bill Bliss. Alexander Akerman, Vahan Magarian, and alternate Ruthjeanne Bellamy, made up the negative team. The district team composed of Kenneth Miller, Phyllis Penley, and alternate Alexander Akerman, was defeated by Leesburg in Deland on February 24, 1927. Kenneth Miller – President, Richard Buckmaster – Secretary, Owen Rice – Treasurer, Miss Barker – Faculty Advisor.
Boys Glee Club Girls Glee Club According to the 1927 yearbook for Orlando High School, the Girls’ and Boys’ Glee Clubs were under the supervision of Miss Alice Wood. For the first time in the history of the school, a performance of the Glee Clubs was broadcast over the radio, letting the world know Orlando was famous for her songsters and well as her climate. In December 1926, the Glee Clubs sang over WDBO broadcasting from the Angebilt studio. They also participated in a musical concert in Eola Park prior to the Christmas holidays. On Christmas day a Vesper service was held in Eola Park under the auspices of the City Recreational Department. The Glee Clubs co-operated with the Recreational Department in the May Day Pageant. A quartette composed of Bernard DeWitt, Jimmie Cox, Jimmie Godfrey and Harold Isenhour was a hit with the students at Orlando High School.
Girl Reserves 1st Photo 2nd Photo The Girl Reserves at O.H.S. were organized in 1926 by Miss Johnson and Margaret Tichenor, for the purpose of meeting the needs of the “teen” age girls in school. According to “Las Memorias,” Mrs. McClure was their leader in 1927 and with the co-operation of Helen Rowe, the president, the cabinet, and all the girls the group put over a series of programs which were highly beneficial and entertaining. Meetings on such topics as Beauty, Ambitions, Morals and Manners, and World Fellowship were conducted. The Tea Party, Teachers’ Party, dinner in honor of the Junior High girls, their Health Camp Rally, Senior Farewell Party, and the Mother Daughter Banquet furnished a wide and varied social program.
The Girl Reserves Cabinet: Helen Rowe – President, Mildred McNeill – Vice President, Mary Stagg – Secretary, Corinne Bruner – Treasurer, Viola Wilson – Programs, Jeanette Applint – World Fellowship, Addie Hull – Socials, Virginia O’Rork – Publicity, Louise Aulls – School Programs, Mrs. McClure, Miss Yarborough, Miss Bargeron, Miss Wood, Miss Everett, Mrs. Thompson, Miss Giltner, Miss Estil, Miss Barker, Miss Everett.
Home Economics Club The Home Economics Club was organized in the fall of 1926 by the girls from the Science Department. Bertha Boerstler – President, Muriel Johnson – Secretary, Lucile Hall – Treasurer, Erma Landis – Chaplain, Hazel Coley – Student Sponsor, Maxine McKelvey – Sponsor, Mrs. Thompson – Faculty Sponsor, Erma Landis – Reporter.
Les Acteurs According to “Las Memorias,” Les Acteurs was organized in the fall (1926) to meet the demand of the students for a dramatic outlet. The first production was a one act play – “Putting Up a Prosperous Front.” The spring production was “Love and Sauer Kraut,” a comic tragedy. Dewey Stone – President, Aimee Champion – Secretary, Louise Hall – Treasurer, Geneivieve Eady – Reporter, Miss Dewald – Sponsor.
Los Jugadores According to the 1927 “Las Memorias,” Los Jugadores (The Players) was organized in fall of 1926. Their first production, “The Old Homestead,” adapted by one of the students from a story by the same name was so popular they performed an encore at the Junior High School. The group’s second production, “The Goose Hangs High,” was presented during the Christmas season. In the early spring the club put on a four-act play entitled “Vodvil.” Colfax Sanderson – Student Sponsor, Kathleen Kelly – Student Sponsor, Patty Martin – Secretary, Richard Buckmaster – Treasurer, Miss Hodges – Faculty Sponsor.
Orange and White 1st Page 2nd Page The “Orange and White” was the Orlando High School newspaper. According to the 1927 “Las Memorias,” for the first time in the history of O.H.S. a school activity was given an entire booth at the Mid-Winter Fair in Orlando. Through the sale of books, and an array of advertising placards, money wa earned to send a delegate to the Columbia Scholastic Press Association in New York City. The yearbook also states that the “The Orange and White” staff editing a Sunday issue of the Orlando Morning Sentinel, and that in 1928 the “The Orange and White” would be relocating to a new building.
Quill and Scroll According to “Las Memorias” the Orlando Chapter of the Quill and Scroll, the National Honorary Society for High School Journalists, was organized in January 1927 with sixteen members. In order to become a member, the student must be a Junior or Senior in the upper third of his or her class scholastically, must have done outstanding work in the Journalistic field, must be recommended by the faculty supervisor of high school publications, and must be approved by the National Secretary-Treasurer. The charter members’ membership dues and pins were donated by The Orlando Morning Sentinel and The Evening Reporter Star. The honorary members of the Orlando Chapter are Mr. Glenn and Mr. Brossier. Kathleen Kelly – President, Bernard Dewitt – Vice President, Colfax Sanderson – Secretary/Treasurer, Miss Everett – Faculty Sponsor, Mr. Bookhardt – Faculty Member.
Rod and Gun Club According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the Rod and Gun Club was first organized in 1925 under the able sponsorship of Mr. Bookhardt. The membership in the club was restricted to ten members. The club members focused on the study of the habits and preservation of all wild life, a usable knowledge of the game laws, a study of the different types of guns and fishing tackle and above all, good sportmanship. Members mentioned were Bob Caruthers – President, Arthur Ertle – Vice President, Kenneth Hoequist – Secretary / Treasurer, Mr. Bookhardt – Sponsor.
Screech Owls According to the 1927 Orlando Senior High School yearbook, the Screech Owls was organized in 1926 by a group of boys interested in singing. In 1927, the club was under Miss Alice Wood, head of the Music Department. The members devoted their time to studying of popular and classic songs. The members shown in this photo are: Edwin Amman, Howard Bandy, George Burdick, Jeff Huppel, Spencer Way, Roger Goodwin, Randolph Caruthers, Harold Jones, Harold Isenhour, Urban Tignor, Gerald Norman, Norman Long, Hubitt Walters, Felix Ellett, Jr., and manager J. S. Hopkins.
Spanish Club According to “Las Memorias,” the Spanish Club – El Circulo Espanol – was founded in 1926. The club featured speakers Mr. Thomas F. Lee and Colonel Olds. Mr. Lee lectured and wrote for National Geographic. The club sponsor, Miss Giltner, presented a program about her recent trip to the Island of Cuba. Virginia O’Rork – President, Phyllis Buck – Vice President, Mary Stagg – Secretary/Treasurer, Margaret Ballot – Reporter, Phyllis Buck – Program Chairman, Miss Giltner – Faculty Sponsor.
Varsity Club According to the Orlando High School 1927 yearbook, anyone who received a letter in any of the sports was eligible for membership in the Varsity Club. Together with the Booster Club, the Varsity Club filled the side lines at all the games, aiding the Athletic Association. Members identified in the yearbook are: Albert Church – president, George Kington – Secretary / Treasurer, and Coach Davidson – Sponsor.
Baseball Team According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, most all of the previous year’s players returned for the 1926-27 school year. The team was coached by Coach Davidson; team captain was Joe Gentile, and team manager was Wilbur James.
Basketball Inter-Class Champions According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the basketball trophy was presented to the school by the Balfour Hardware Company to be given to the best class team. It was won by the Juniors who were victorious over the Seniors, so the Class of ’28 was inscribed on the large silver basketball.
Boys Basketball Team 1st Photo – 2nd Photo According to the Orlando High School 1927 yearbook all five members of the previous year’s team graduated but many new applicants joined the team. Tommy Spencer was named captain of the Tiger five. The team was victorious losing only two games to Eustis and Daytona.
Boys Swimming Team According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the boys swimming team was composed of entirely new members with the exception of Captain Albert Church. The team coach was Bobby Howard. The State swim meet in 1927 was held at Rollins College in Winter Park.
Boys Tennis Team According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the 1926-27 school year was the first year for boys tennis at Orlando High School. Manager Howard Rybolt scheduled many matches to prepare the team for the State Tennis Tournament. The team members are: Captain Van Weidig, Heskin, Whittaker, Ernest
Hardy, William Bliss, Alex Daley, Gerald Graham, and Francis Tolls.
Boys Track Team According to the 1927 yearbook, “the track team is expecting the most successful season in the history of the school. Most of the members of last year’s team are with us again and are eclipsing all former marks.” Dean Hammond – coach, Richard Hibbard – manager, Owen Rice – captain. Members included Wilbur James, Bo Randall, Ed Lambert, Walter Persons, Owen Rice, James Horner, Richard Hibbard, and Vahan Margarian.
Football Team 1st photo – 2nd Photo Captain Wilbur James characterized the 1926 season as satisfying. The Tigers and Tiger rooters showed good old Tiger Fight all season. Some of the Tiger team members mentioned in the yearbook include: Wilbur James, Gentile, Langston, Max Wettstein, Bill Wilmott, Isanhauer, Jenkins, Kington, Spencer, Coach Davidson, Whittaker (quarterback), Alleman, Carl Stapp, Albert Church, Harold Packard, Bill Brenan, Kenneth Mill (team manager), Several cheer leaders where given credit for helping the team to victory: Dan McKeever, Jince Crenshaw, June Beauvais.
Girls Basketball Team 1st Photo – 2nd Photo According to the 1927 yearbook, Captain Helen Rowe was the only veteran Tigerine on the Girls Basketball team at Orlando High School with which Miss McConnell had to start the season.
Girls Swimming Team According to the Orlando High School yearbook, the 1927 girls swim team was almost entirely new members, but they were looking forward to the Florida State Interscholastic Aquatic Meet and the State championship which Orlando High School girls had won in the previous two years. The team members were: Virginia Crenshaw – captain, Betty Ghier, Vilma Ebsen, Beatrice Barry, Eunice Berner and Jewel Lewter. The team is coached by Bobby Howard, holder of two Southeastern records.
Girls Track Team According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the 1926 girls track team received second high honors at the State meet. The Junior girls added another victory to their class honor by defeating the Senior girls in the Inter-Class Meet. Marion Phillips was the captain of the team. Miss McConnell was also mentioned.
Senior Class Officers According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the following were officers of the Senior Class of 1927: Kenneth Miller – president, Louise Aulls – Secretary, Daniel McKeever, Jr. – Vice President, and Alexander Akerman – Treasurer. The owner of the yearbook or the signers made notes on these images, indicating where some were heading for college.
Senior Class Members
1927 Seniors – Newspaper article The Seniors took over operation of the entire store from street floor to fourth floor and part of the day’s proceeds went to the class for school activities. The entire Senior class is featured in the photograph with an insert showing the class officers: Kenneth Miller – President, Dan McKeever – Vice President, Louise Aulls – Secretary, and Alex Akerman – Treasurer. Donated to the library by the children of Bob Kieser — daughter Betty Jo Stockton and son Bob Kieser.
Senior Class of 1927 – List of the members of the Senior Class of 1927 from the Las Memorias yearbook.
Class of 1927 Reunions 50th Reunion edition of Las Memorias 60th Reunion memory book
The Senior Class of 1927 from Orlando High School, sometimes called Orlando Senior High School, celebrated many reunions here in Orlando. Robert J. Kieser along with many of his former classmates and his wife Elizabeth S. Stalder (Class of 1930), attended the 50th and 60th Reunions. The Kieser’s children, Bob Kieser and Betty Jo Stockton, donated the reunion memory books, newspaper clippings, and several editions of Las Memorias yearbooks to the library.
Junior Class Officers According to the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook, the following were officers of the Junior Class of 1928: Robert Caruthers – President, Charlie Wood – Vice President, Juliette Brown – Secretary, Harold Isenhour – Treasurer, Miss McConnell – Faculty Sponsor. The owner of the yearbook or the signers made notes on these images, indicating where some were heading for college. The Class of 1928’s motto was Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful, and high; their colors were Black and Gold, and their flower was the yellow rose.
According to the yearbook, the first thing the Junior class did after it was organized was to appoint that important committee, the Finance Committee. The committee was composed of Bill Delaport, chairman, Theresa Robinson, Vera Somers, and Lynn Churchwell. They also elected a leader for each sport. For football – Ralph Whittaker; for track James Horner, for basketball Charlie Wood. The Junior class basketball team won the interclass tournament, thus obtaining the beautiful Bumby Trophy. The Juniors also standardized the Senior ring. The ring design chosen for permanent use was drawn by Merton Austin.
Sophomore Class Officers This photo from the 1927 Orlando Senior High School yearbook are the Sophomore Class Officers for the the graduating class of 1929. Carol Langston – President, Henry Wiepert – Vice President, George Kingston – Secretary, and George Karel – Treasurer. According to the 1927 Orlando High School Yearbook, the Sophomore class in 1927 was the largest ever to enter O.H.S. The Sophomores started something new in the way they intended to finance their Junior Prom. They started early to obtain sufficient funds to give their prom so they would not be rushed at the last of their Junior year.
Advertisers – Page 179 in the yearbook was a list of all the companies and individuals who advertised in the yearbook.
Dickson Ives advertisement – One of the full page advertisements in the 1927 Orlando High School yearbook was from clothing store Dickson-Ives Company located on Orange Avenue. The actual address was 2-14 South Orange Avenue and their phone number was GArden 5-3411.
The advertisement boasts that in 30 years people would still look to Dickson-Ives for clothes and home furnishings. According to R. L. Polks Orlando and Winter Park 1958 city directory, Dickson & Ives was still at 2-14 South Orange Avenue. Their advertisement in the same publication indicates the department store is Orlando owned and operated, and that they are Central Florida’s Fashion-Quality Store: complete outfitters for men, women and children.
The building located at the corner of Central and Orange Avenue on the southwest corner has been remodeled but still resembles the original structure minus the awning that used to extend over the sidewalk on the Orange Avenue exposure.
The memory book belonging to Robert Kieser, presented to all attendees at the Orlando High School Class of 1927 60th Reunion, May 16, 1887.
Includes photos of Judge Alex and Marion Akerman, Viola and Elliott Bryan, Pauline and Curt Farless, Fayne Ila Hendry, Sue and Wilbur James, Kathryn B. Jump, Mildred and Ellis Lavin, Jewel May Lewter, Agnes and Vahan Magarian, Jeanette A. Pomeroy, Lizzie Mae Poole and Dr. H. L. Schofield, Margaret and Wilson Reed, Frances P. Robertson, Paul Tavel, Marie R. Taylor, Harriet T. True, Leland Kent, Grace Bargeron Rambo and Edwin Rambo, Edith Wilson Bailey, Rosamond Evans French, Elizabeth and Robert J. Kieser, Esther Lieberman and John Van Tuin.
Board of Education
Mr. C E HOWARD, Chairman of the Board
Ms. F E GODFREY
Dr. R P BUCKMASTER
M L ALTSTETTER, City Superintendent
Miss Eunice DELANEY, Asst. Superintendent
J B WALKER, Principal
Clara L GATHMAN
Mrs. Ruth THOMPSON
Ruth E MIER
Mary D YARBOROUGH
Mrs. Elma SMITH
Mrs. F C McCLURE
Leland A KIRST
Walter B JOHNSON
Mrs. Elma SMITH
William R BOONE
L E DAVIDSON
W C HOLLY
William P SULLIVAN
J B BOOKHARDT
Ruth S BARKER
Lois L BURKE
Mrs. W BARNSLEY
Mrs. Basil WILKINSON
G M PATCH
Mrs. Louise ROGERS
Norma Jo DAUGHERTY
Kenneth MILLER - President
Daniel McKEEVER, Jr - Vice President
Louise AULLS, Secretary
Alexander AKERMAN, Treasurer
David B ALLEMAN
Louise Millicent AULLS
Merton Jesse AUSTIN
Ralph L. BOYD
Kathryn B. BRINKERHOFF
James S COX
Virginia Taylor CRENSHAW
Francis L DONAHUE
W C FORD
Elizabeth P GREENE
Amos E JACKSON
Mary Lamar JACKSON
John Wilbur JAMES
Samuel JONES, Jr
Frank KAREL, Jr
Robert J KIESER
Erma Irene LANDIS
Jewel May LEWTER
Vahan K MAGARIAN
Margaret L MANGOLD
Wilbur Kenneth MILLER
Edward B MOYERS
Daniel A McKEEVER, Jr
Leslie James PARHAM
Walter D RANDALL, Jr
Bennett W RICHARDS
Ray Howard RYBOLT
Colfax SANDERSON, Jr
Hampton Lee SCHOFIELD, Jr
Lizzie Mae SCHOFIELD
E Ernest SIEWERT
Fayne Ila STAFFORD
Caroline Elease STOCKMAR
Max E WETTSTEIN
Katherine Hollis WELCH
Viola L WILSON
Melba Lois YATES
Warren C. YOUNG