Colonial High School opened In 1958, providing much needed relief for other schools in the area. It began with a dual schedule: High School classes in the morning and Junior High classes in the afternoon.
Rufus E. Jennings was the first principal and Bettis Herlong was the first head coach.
The first Student Council consisted of all female officers: Judy Harland was the president; Peggy Greene was the vice president; Vickie Caraway served as secretary; and Jo Ann Pope as treasurer.
In 1979 the school celebrated 20 years as east Orange County’s senior high school. Read this Little Sentinel article to learn more about the school’s history and lore.
Photographs of Colonial High School’s early years courtesy of Tim Orwick.
CHS opened in 1958, and student photographer Tim Orwick captured its formative months. Use the PDF link above to enjoy this historic collection.
These photographs of the early years of CHS football are supplied by Tim Orwick, who was a student photographer at CHS during the first years.
CHS's early homecoming and Christmas parades, photographed by Tim Orwick.