The Orange County Library System has commissioned numerous plaques over the years to honor important staff, board members, and community partners who made an impact on the library system.
The featured image is a plaque that sits above the plaque below. Transcription: This Original portion of the Orlando Public Library was dedicated in 1966.
Transcription: Orlando Public Library erected 1966. City Council: Robert S. Carr, Mayor, George A. Barker, Jr., J. Douglas Barnes, John E. Newsom, W. M. Sanderlin. Library Board: C Dewitt Miller, President, Charles T. Brumback, William J. Capehart, Claude R. Edwards, Mabelle O’Neal. Clara E. Wendel, Director. John M. Johansen, Architect, H. L. Coble Construction Co., General Contractor, Hugh D. Medlin, Superintendent.
Transcription: Orlando Public Library 1985. Orange County Library District. Library District Board of Trustees: John B. Newsom, President, Paul Pickett, Vice President, Albert C. Valdes, Secretary/Treasurer, Corbin M. Sarchet, Mary Jo Hoard, Helen Johnson. Orange County Commission: Schweizer Associates, Inc., Architect, Great Southwest Corporation, Contractor. Project Supervision: Glenn Miller, Library Director; Anita W. Heard, Business Manager.
Transcription: In remembrance of A. P. Phillips, Jr., 1903-1975. A lifelong citizen of Orlando, this citizen businessman was active in community affairs. World traveled, A. P. Phillips, Jr., experience first-hand the alternatives the county he loved. He was above all a patriot, and he used his energy and finances to convey this passion to others. A generous gift from the A.P. Phillips Foundation., Inc., has partially endowed the history and travel collections of the Orlando Public Library.
Transcription: In memory of Charles L. Albertson whose gift of books in 1920 formed the nucleus of the original library collection and for whom the first library building, construction by the city of Orlando on this site was named. (Search OrlandoMemory.info for more information on Captain Albertson)
Transcription: Clara Wendel Director Albertson Public Library, Orlando Public Library, Orlando County Library System 1943-1970. She oversaw the construction of the 1966 Orlando Public Library, the development of the county library service, and the expansion of the branch library system. (Search OrlandoMemory.info for more information on Clara Wendel)
Transcription: Dorothy Field. Director Orange County Library System 1995-2001. She was dedicated to library services for children and she had a strong commitment to the provision of electronic library services. She oversaw the construction of the Alafaya, West Oaks and South Creek libraries. She established reciprocal borrowing with Orange County’s neighboring counties.
Transcription: Edmund Lane Murray 1904-1983. Its a fortunate community which has citizens like Edmund Lane Murray. He walked quietly among us as a patron and a benefactor. Through his generosity and in his memory an endowment for the Business Department of the Orlando Public Library has been established. Mr. Murray’s substantial bequest will sustain and improve the library’s resources for us and for future generations. Orange County Library System – 1990.
Transcription: Glenn F. Miller, Director Orange County Library System 1970-1995. He provided a solid foundation for library service to this community in the development of the Independent Taxing District in 1980. He oversaw the expansion of the Orlando Public Library which was completed in 1985. His administration was marked by dynamic and innovative leadership.
Transcription: This library is fortunate to have had the voluntary and pervasive interest of John B. Newsom whose abiding concerns and direct involvement spanned four decades. Orlando city councilman and liaison the the library board 1959-1966; Orlando Public Library Board of Trustees 1966-1980 (President 1966-1969, 1071-1980); Orange County Library Board of Trustees 1980-1985 (President, 1980-1985). He served this library during planning and construction of the Orlando Public Library in 1966 and during the expansion which opened in 1985. He presided through the City of Orlando and Orange County consolidation of library service into the Orange County Library District. The Library is indebted to this outstanding citizen for his extensive and lasting contribution.
Transcription: In memory of Judy Mucci – librarian, manager, associate director whose leadership dedication and character provide inspiration for generations of library employees, and who demonstrated the true meaning of public service at the Orange County Library System. Years of service 1973-1993.
Transcription: Olive Brumbaugh, Head Librarian, Albertson Public Library 1923-1943. First Director of the library and subsequently of the first three branch libraries in the City of Orlando.
Transcription: Paul Pickett 1927-1992. Library Board of Trustees January 19, 1975 to December 31, 1987, June 13, 1988 to December 31, 1991. This memorial salutes a generous and lasting contribution by Paul Pickett, an Orange County Commissioner, commission chairman and a library trustee for fifteen years. Paul Pickett was the rare person who gave himself to this community’s service for a period spanning four decades. Quiet with results and folksy with wisdom, Paul Pickett provided steady leadership as the library moved through great change, emerging as a better instrument for the citizens of Orange County.
Transcription: Furnishings in this area were supplied by the generosity of Josephine B. Kirk 1882-1975 whose faith in the public library and this county caused her to leave a gift to augment the then hope-for library expansion. (Expansion was completed in 1985)
Back to top
Transcription: OCLS Info Power Suite from Friends of the Orange County Library System to current and future library staff. 1992.