Back in the late 1930s, J. W. Cannon operated a 400 acre private airport along Lake Barton Road (now Semoran Blvd.) It was a grass runway for small airplanes and it had its own flying school. The Florida Aeronautical and Supply Company bought the property in 1940 and Wellborn C. Phillips (senior) purchased it in 1951.
Phillips Properties began construction of Azalea Park in May of 1952. The 1,100-home subdivision grew into an $8 million project, complete with a shopping center, swimming pool, and five churches.
The 1954 Polk’s Orlando City Directory announced for the first time, “Including Azalea Park,” with new street listings that are familiar to us: Alder, Bamboo, Camellia, Dogwood, Lantana, Mimosa, Oxalis, Redwood, Sage, Willow, Yucatan, Zinnia, and more.
Do you have an Azalea Park memory to share? Please contact us.
- Azalea Park Baptist Church
- Azalea Park Baptist School
- Azalea Park United Methodist Church
- Azalea Park Swimming Pool
- Christ the King Episcopal Church
- Colonial High School
- Good Shepherd Catholic Church
- Good Shepherd Catholic School
- Interview with Dr. Richard A. Simmons
- Interview with Geneva Hanson
- Interview with Teresa Fetter
- Slide Show – 60 photos from Azalea Park history
- Azalea Park Celebrates 60 Opening Ceremony
Peruse Attachments below.
There are currently no audio related to this memory.
There are currently no video related to this memory.
There are currently no documents related to this memory.