803 Lake Adair Boulevard historic home featured in the College Park Historic Homes Tour North From Lake Adair, November 23, 1997.
Lake Adair reportedly got its name in 1884, when John W. Childress bought an adjacent grove and bestowed his wife’s name on the lake. The eastern border of Childress’ land would have been today’s Westmoreland. By 1920, that land and the area to the east were still mostly citrus groves, other farms and woodland, outside the city limits. Few of the streets we know today existed, and the name “College Park” was not yet in use. During the real estate book of 1921-27, however, subdivision proceeded rapidly, although the boom ended long before all the many lots that had been platted could be built on. A couple who saw possibilities early were Daniel W. and Margarite Clouser. In 1915, they bought much of the land included in this tour…
Introductory excerpt from:
College Park Historic Homes Tour North From Lake Adair, November 23, 1997.
The seventh historic homes tour of the College Park Neighborhood Association Historical Committee.
North from Lake Adair House Tour Addresses:
1. 1501 Westmoreland Drive
2. 1418 Clouser Avenue
3. 907 Golfview Street (See photo.)
4. 927 Maxwell Street
5. 901 Lake Adair Boulevard
6. 803 Lake Adair Boulevard
Architecture and house histories also noted include 1315 Westmoreland Drive, 945 Lake Adair Boulevard, 909 Lake Adair Boulevard, 823 Lake Adair Boulevard, 811 Lake Adair Boulevard, 1722 Dormont Lane, 727 Lake Adair Boulevard, 705 Lake Adair Boulevard, and 727 Oak Street.
Notable people mentioned include:
Edmund and Charlotte Allen
Charles E. Bradshaw, Sr.
Dr. N.T. Bryan
Mary K. (Mrs. Francis) Buckingham
Vern L. Bullis
John W. Childress
Daniel W. and Margarite Clouser
Morris (Maurice) Clouser
Levi H. and Estelle Crisler
Howard and Gertrude Evans
Gladys and Henry Hancock
Charles A. and Charlotte Johnson
Harry W. and Annie Kanner
Stephen F. Maxwell
Horace and Vivian McCardell
George B. Patterson
Isaac and Gladys Shier
Farmer James South
Raymond C. Stevens
Percy Pamorrow (“Jim”) Turner
William and Sarah Van Dauber
John C. West
May and D. Ross Wynn
Document courtesy of the College Park Neighborhood Association Historical Committee.
Photo provided by College Park Historical Society Board Member Julie Northlake.