PlacesSkip to the content

Albertson Public Library

On November 10, 1921, Captain Charles L. Albertson, a winter resident of Orlando and a retired Police Inspector from Waverly, New York, met with the Orlando City Commissioners and a committee from the Chamber of Commerce to offer his personal library of 12,000 books, valued at around $75,000, to the City of Orlando.

The announcement of Captain Albertson’s offer was published on the front page of  the Evening Reporter Star the following day. On November 12, 1921, the Orlando City Commissioners met and unanimously accepted Capt. Albertson’s offer to donate his library to the City of Orlando. The formal agreement was signed on November 26, 1921. It stipulated that the City of Orlando would “erect a fireproof library building of sufficient capacity to accommodate the said books, and that the same shall be known as The Albertson Library…”

The Original Building

On February 21, 1922, the City held a bond election and the vote was 446 for and 155 against a bond issue for certain municipal improvements, including a public library building. Mr. Murray S. King was instructed to prepare plans for the building, which were approved by the Commission on May 12, 1922. The contract was let to Mr. C. C. Hanner on August 30, 1922, for the sum of $73,983 and the building was erected under Mr. King’s supervision. The total cost of the building, grounds, and equipment was $110,000. On November, 8, 1923, the doors of the Library were opened to the public. with little fanfare.

The Albertson Public Library was a fine, limestone building with four tall Greek Doric columns topped with a carving of draped Grecian figures. Eleven broad white steps led up to the entrance, and a long low wall along Central Avenue was covered with trailing lantana. Just inside the tall doors, a large skylight in the rotunda added to the natural light admitted through large windows reaching almost to the ceiling. If you stood directly under the dome, you could see the head librarian — first Miss Brumbaugh, then Miss Wendel — in her little office on the balcony over the first floor.

Glass floors in the stacks were designed to let the light penetrate from one floor to another, but they also created “shocking” situations when static electricity sparked the woolen-clothed patrons in cool winters. The heating plan was not installed until 1938 and in later years the building leaked terribly in heavy rains.

There was a separate Children’s Room in the Albertson from the very beginning, and story hours and vacation reading clubs were held regularly. A garden and entrance to the Children’s Department on the Rosalind Avenue side were added in 1935 as a result of a gift from Miss Annetta O’B. Walker of Portland, Maine.

Sorosis donated all suitable books from their library to swell the original collection of 12,000 to more than 15,000 and then the City purchased books so that the Library began with a collection of 21,000 volumes.

The original accession books, listing every title added to the library and the donor or book seller from whom it was purchased, still exist.

The first accession book contains entries 1 – 10,000, and includes books gifted by Captain Charles L. Albertson, the Sorosis Club, and others in the community.

Accession book one

Front Matter

Entries 0001-1000

Entries 1001-2000

Entries 2001-3000

Entries 3001-4000

Entries 4001-5000

Entries 5001-6000

Entries 6001-7000

Entries 7001-8000

Entries 8001-9000

Entries 9001-10,000

In November 1948, the community celebrated the Silver Anniversary of the Public Library in Orlando and a booklet was created to commemorate the event. It outlines the history of how the library came to be, the library board through the years and facts and figures on the library’s holdings, circulation and borrowers in 1948.

Peruse the 1948 booklet.

Have you ever wondered why we tore down the beautiful traditional Albertson Public Library and built the current structure? Many folks have and many folks ask. Read this report completed by the Jaycees in January 1959 and you’ll understand why it was a necessity!

The committee that studied the library was composed of John Barber, John Peake and S. Victor Tipton, and they enumerated 13 issues that made the library unfit for staff and residents. Number 10 caught my attention:

“There is grossly inadequate space for the some 40 clerical and staff workers to carry on their work. For example, four attempt to work at desks in a room 8 by 12 feet which includes also book shelves and filing cabinets. Desks have to be placed in almost every corner of the building. Some are protruding into aisles necessarily used by patrons. There are only eight small lockers for the 40 odd workers.”

Explore the DOCUMENTS and IMAGES below under ATTACHMENTS.

Back to top
TAGS: , ,
ATTACHMENTS

Captain Charles L. Albertson circa 1905

Photograph of Charles L. Albertson published in the January 19, 1906 edition of The Waverly Free Press.

Portrait of Charles L. Albertson

No description has been added yet

Silver Anniversary Cover

Cover from the program for Albertson Public Library 25th anniversary in November 1948. Peruse the entire program and read the history of the...

Telephone Reference Service - Albertson Public Library - 1949

Telephone Reference Service - Albertson Public Library. This article published in a December 1949 issue of the Orlando Morning Sentinel by George...

Albertson Library Interior 001

Interior photograph from the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library Interior 002

Interior photograph from the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library

No description has been added yet

Albertson Library Interior 003

Interior photograph from the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library Interior 004

Interior photograph from the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library Interior 005

Interior photograph from the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library Interior 006

Interior photograph of the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library Interior 008

Interior photograph from the Albertson Public Library.

Reading Area - Albertson Public Library

Patron shown in the reading area at the Albertson Public Lbirary.

Lobby - Albertson Public Library

Lobby in the Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Public Library - Front exterior circa 1960

Albertson Public Library - Front exterior circa 1960. From the private collection of Tim Orwick.

Captain Charles L. Albertson Dies

Mentioned: Captain Charles L. Albertson, Charles Albertson, Florida Sanitarium, Albertson Public Library, Mrs. Lillian Albertson, Lake Jennie Jewell.

Albertson Public Library Bookmobile in action

Newspaper photograph showing children and the bookmobile in a country setting publsihed in the Orlando Sentinel on June 1, 1950, 2nd section. Caption:...

Clara Wendel Plaque

No description has been added yet

Clara Wendel - Albertson Public Library

Informational sheet on Clara Wendell and the Albertson Public Library.

Clara E. Wendel - Librarian

Photograph of Clara Wendel, second librarian/director of the Albertson Public Library.

50th Anniversary - Orlando Public Library - Clara Elizabeth Wendel

Clara Elizabeth Wendel photograph from the 50th Anniversary of the Orlando Public Library publication.

Technical Services Department

The Technical Service Department of the Orange County Library System was located in an annex at 453 North Orange Avenue between Alexander...

Albertson Public Library - Customers At Card Catalog

Customers using the card catalog at the old Albertson Public Library.

Card Catalog - Albertson Public Library

Card catalogs in the old Albertson Public Library.

Albertson Library

No description has been added yet

Albertson Public Library - Orlando Public Library

This is an original painting by James Stoll and is part of the Orlando Remembered display case located  on the 4th floor...

Albertson Library

No description has been added yet

Albertson Library

No description has been added yet

Albertson Library

No description has been added yet

Albertson Library

No description has been added yet

There are currently no audio related to this memory.
There are currently no video related to this memory.
There are currently no links related to this memory.
Waverly Free Press - Albertson Library - Waverly, N.Y.

January 1906.

The Albertson Library (Waverly, NY) is featured on the entire front page of the Waverly Free Press. The Press takes the reader room by room listing most of the titles on the shelves in the Library located in one of Captain Albertson's homes.

This is historical accounting of our own Orlando Public Library as these are most likely some of the works that were part of the collection donated by Captain Albertson to create the Albertson Public Library in Orlando.


Acceptance of Capt. Albertson's Offer

November 12, 1921. City Commissioners unanimously accepted Capt. Albertson's offer to donate his 12,000 books to the City of Orlando.


Agreement between Capt. Albertson and the City of Orlando.

November 26, 1921. Articles of Agreement between Charles L. Albertson of Warverly, in the State of New York and the City of Orlando in the State of Florida.


Accession Book 1 - Front Matter
No description has been added yet
Accession Book 1 - 0001-1000
No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet
Albertson Library Rules

Rules of the newly opened Albertson Public Library


Albertson Public Library - Rollins College Letter

March 11, 1927 Albertson Public Library - Rollins College Letter


Albertson Public Library - Letter from Melvil Dewey - March 29, 1928

Albertson Public Library - Letter from Melvil Dewey - March 29, 1928


Albertson Public Library - letter from Hamilton Holt of Rollins College

April 7, 1928 Albertson Public Library - letter from Hamilton Holt of Rollins College


Albertson Public Library - Letter from City of Orlando

1928 Letter from City of Orlando thanking Albertson Public Library for helping with Halloween festivities.


Albertson Public Library - Invitation to Melvil Dewey's 80th Birthday Celebration

Albertson Public Library - Invitation to Melvil Dewey's 80th Birthday Celebration


Albertson Public Library - Rollins College Letter - Novemer 30, 1931

Albertson Public Library - Rollins College Letter - Novemer 30, 1931


Albertson Public Library - letter from FLA

1931 Albertson Public Library letter from FLA


Albertson Public Library - Letter from Children's Author Lois Lenski - 1944

Albertson Public Library - Letter from Children's Author Lois Lenski - 1944


Public Library Silver Anniversary

This commemorative booklet was created in celebration of the Silver Anniversary of the opening of the establishment of the Albertson Public Library in Orlando. The booklet lists the Board of Directors, Librarian and staff and presents the history of the library from its beginnings with the Sorosis Club of Orlando.


Orlando Brief - Page 20 - Albertson Public Library

Page 20 of the Orlando Brief includes photos of the Albertson Public Library and the Orlando Municipal Auditorium (Bob Carr Auditorium). The auditorium is hardly recognizable if you see it today as a façade was added to the front of the building that altered the entrance area many years ago.


Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article, David Flick, Mrs. Floyd H. Bruton, Clara Wendel

Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article, David Flick, Mrs. Floyd H. Bruton, Clara Wendel, circa 1951


Albertson Public Library, Orlando Evening Star Article, January 16, 1953

Albertson Public Library, Orlando Evening Star Article, January 16, 1953.


Albertson Public Library, Orlando Evening Star Article, January 17, 1953

Albertson Public Library, Orlando Evening Star Article, January 17, 1953.


Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article - February 8, 1953

Albertson Public Library, Orlando Evening Star Article,February 8, 1953


Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article - February 10, 1953

Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article, February 10, 1953, Wintson Henderson, Mrs. Kenneth Rogers, Donald Walker, Rev. Louie Blackwell


Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article

Albertson Public Library - Orlando Evening Star Article - March 11, 1953: Clara Wendel, Wintson Henderson, Walter Reed



No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

No description has been added yet

Leave a Comment