The first edition of the Orlando Magazine was published in July 1922 by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce. The first twelve issues of the magazine were bound and presented to the Albertson Public Library prior to its opening in November 1923, by someone with the last name of “Nash.” The volume is listed as item number 8717 in the Albertson Public Library’s first accession book.
Based on the 1921 Orlando City Directory, the gift was likely from George and Vera Nash, owners of the Central Florida Abstract and Title Guaranty Company.
View larger image
The editions published between July 1922 and June 1923 coincide with a very important and exciting time in the history of the Orange County Library System:
- Funding for the Albertson Public Library was secured in February 1922.
- In August 1922, the building plans were approved by the city.
- In February 1923, Professor Sexton Johnson was named president of the new library board.
- Miss Olive Brumbaugh accepted the position of head librarian and organizer in April 1923.
- The Albertson Public Library welcomed Orlandoans for the first time on November 8, 1923.
In fact, the Albertson Public Library was featured in a two-page article in the March 1923 edition of the magazine: “Orlando’s fine new building nearly ready to receive its wonderful library, the gift of a winter visitor.”
The magazines are filled with articles about commerce, agriculture, investments, new ventures, and events. They contain photographs of hotels, apartments, hospitals, businesses, country clubs and scenic locations around Orlando – many no longer here.
Above: Angebilt Hotel from the March 1923 edition of the Orlando Magazine.
Blue text are links, so be sure to click and explore!
From the forward in the first edition of the Orlando Magazine:
Orlando has for years hid its light under a bushel. The tiney rays which did protrude have added sunshine to the hearts on which it shone. We now propose to raise the cap so all may see, and seeing, learn that in this spot, where nature smiles so sweetly, lies opportunity. In this our purpose is twofold. We seek to offer light to those who wish an ideal place to live, where surroundings are pleasant and beautiful. Where those in search of rest can live, among happy, contented neighbors; while those who seek the hustle of a business lift will find a community for its size, almost unparalleled in activity.
Articles in the first edition feature Rollins College, San Juan hotel, construction of the Angebilt hotel, street improvements, and the new Lakewood subdivision. In addition, there are a variety of advertisements, a directory of the Chamber of Commerce members and businesses, and general information on Orlando and its population. One advertisement, for a “new resort city” under construction with the Atlantic Ocean on the east and the Banana River to the west called DeSoto Beach, appears in every edition.
View the full-page advertisement for the new Amherst Apartments on Lake Concord at Colonial in the August 1922 Orlando Magazine
Topics in the August edition include Florida in summer, business and financial institutions, promoting Orlando nationally, business programs at Rollins College, and beautification of Orlando streets. Agriculture and cattle raising in greater Orange County are also topics.
There is discussion of the city purchasing the Fair Grounds near downtown to create a 35-acre park. The article states that the Orlando fair grounds were the winter home for the Johnny J. Jones carnival show and the spring training facility for the Cincinnati Reds.
The publication includes photographs of scenic views of lakes and residential streets, as well as the First Presbyterian Church. Advertisements include photos of the Amherst Apartments, Hotel Empire, and Dickson-Ives, and Yowell-Drew department stores.
Read the article about the Orlando County Club in the September 1922 Orlando Magazine.
The old Orange General Hospital is featured on the front cover of the September 1922 Orlando Magazine. Articles about Orlando as a winter resort, detailed information on each hole at the Orlando Country Club, water sports at Rollins College, building program in Orlando, and the citrus industry are featured in this issue.
Read more about the construction of Orlando High School in the September 1922 Orlando Magazine.
An article about Orlando and Orange County Schools includes a photo of the Orlando High School under construction. Another item of interest – the official high and low temperatures by month from 1916-1921 – first appeared in the August 1922 edition. It shows that 1921 was a warm year, indeed, with a high of 103 in September!
Read about the cattle industry in the October 1922 Orlando Magazine.
The October installment of the Orlando Magazine updates a letter written by Dr. J. B. H. Janeway on May 1, 1904, expounding on the virtues of Orlando – police and fire departments, hotels and public buildings, schools, and religious and social opportunities.
Above photo of the Rosalind Club on Lake Eola from the October 1922 Orlando Magazine.
Other articles promote the opening of Orlando’s concert season with Carolina Lazzari of the Metropolitan Opera, Orlando’s tourist industry, and Orange County’s cattle industry.
Above photograph of Lake Lucerne from the November 1922 Orlando Magazine.
The November Orlando Magazine features picturesque images of Orlando’s lakes, streams and streets. Articles include the first chapter of a citrus primer for beginners, a synopsis of the city of Orlando, the Orlando Sunshine Club, Orlando as a winter paradise, and a side trip to Winter Garden.
Above photograph of the Beacham Theatre in the December 1922 and the June 1923 editions of the Orlando Magazine.
The December edition continues the second chapter of the citrus primer, an article about the Tourist Club, social service work in Orlando and Orange County, the Orlando Sunshine Club, and news of the opening of the Angebilt Hotel in January 1923.
Photographs of the natural beauty of lakes Eola, Dot, Virginia and Lucerne, and Interlachen Avenue in Winter Park, as well as photos of the San Juan Hotel and the Beacham Theatre are featured.
The new Angebilt Hotel is featured on the cover of the January 1923 edition of the Orlando Magazine, along with a feature on the opening of the first unit of the new San Juan Hotel. Other articles include Orlando potteries, part three of the citrus primer, and “Going South” – an account of traveling from Boston to Savannah by boat through the Jacksonville gateway to Orlando.
ABOVE photographs of the new Angebilt Hotel and the first phase of the new San Juan Hotel in the January 1923 Orlando Magazine.
Photos in this edition include Lake Gatlin, the Winter Park Country Club, Winter Park golf course, State Bank of Orlando and Trust Company, and a great photo of Orange Avenue at Central looking north with the San Juan, Angebilt and Beacham in the distance.
Read about Orlando’s 14th Annual Mid-Winter Sub-Tropical Fair in the February 1923 Orlando Magazine.
The Mid-Winter Sub-Tropical Fair, Orlando’s 14th Annual exposition is featured in the February 1923 edition of the Orlando Magazine, including photos of W. R. Neal and two of the exhibits.
Above: The Curry and Smith Cigar Company featured in the February 1923 Orlando Magazine.
Other articles feature the Orlando Sunshine Club with photos of the state horseshoe pitching tournament and scenes in Sunshine Park, the coming flower show in April, and the Curry & Smith Cigar Company in Orlando.
There are many photos in this edition, including the Beeman home, Harold Falor, James L. Giles, C. E. Howard, H. H. Dickson, the Orlando Bank and Trust Company, growing strawberries in barrels, and scenes of Lake Eola and Lucerne Circle.
Above: The Albertson Public Library in the March 1923 Orlando Magazine.
The Cathedral School for Girls and the new Albertson Public Library are featured in the March 1923 Orlando Magazine with detailed information on Captain Albertson’s Loose Leaf Encyclopedia. “Our Ears Burn – What Tourists are Saying About Orlando,” is an interesting collection of comments from visitors.
Above: The Cathedral School for Girls in the March 1923 Orlando Magazine.
The history of the Cathedral School for Girls, mentions Episcopal Bishop Gray, Deaconess Harriett Parkhill, Mr. George B. Cluett, Rev. R. P. Cobb, Miss Dora Lee Newman, and Bishop Mann. A continuation of the citrus primer is also included in this edition, along with an article about the DeSoto Beach enterprise, growth and development in Orange County, and a new editorial page.
Memorial High School in Orlando
There are photos of Memorial High School, Eola Park, the Beacham home, the Autrey home, Lake Eola from the Rosalind Club, and many advertisements.
The April edition of the Orlando Magazine features articles about the Florida State Horticultural Society’s 36th Annual Meeting in Orlando, the State Flower Show, the Orlando Gas Company plant, the King’s Park development, the Orlando Steam Laundry, and how bananas are grown. The citrus primer and editorial page also continue in this edition.
Above photo from the Orlando Gas Company article in the April 1923 Orlando Magazine.
Photographs include Sorosis House, the Tiedtke home, the gas plant, Lake Eola, the courthouse, scenic views of lakes and landscapes, citrus trees in a Minnehaha grove.
The Giles home in the May 1923 Orlando Magazine.
Lake Avalon Groves – a new 4,000 acre development, Orange County schools, impressions of Florida by Dr. Albert Shaw, Roger Babson, George C. Roeding, and Florida laws affecting investors are featured articles in the May 1923 Orlando Magazine. The citrus primer continues in this edition, too.
Photographs in this edition include the Overstreet home, the Glenn home, the Woodruff home, the Hamer home, the Giles home, Lake Avalon, John’s Lake, Hillcrest Avenue, and the Amherst Apartments, as well as businesses featured in advertisements.
Above: The Orange Court Apartments from the June 1923 Orlando Magazine.
The June 1923 edition of the Orlando Magazine features many photographs of the natural beauty of Orlando lakes, stately homes, and businesses.
Featured homes include the Woodruff, Hamer, Beacham, Overstreet, Autrey, Van Buskirk, Tiedtke, Beeman, Giles, Glenn, and McRainey homes in downtown Orlando. Scenes of the peaceful scenes around lakes Virginia, Lucerne, Gatlin, and Eola are examples of why Orlando so long ago was known as “The City Beautiful.”
In addition, there are photos of the field where the Cincinnati Reds trained, the San Juan Hotel, Beacham Theatre, Orange Court Apartments, the Orlando Country Club, and many advertisements featuring photos of hotels, apartments and banks in Orlando.
Best of all is an amazing two-page photo of Orange Avenue looking south from around Washington Street with the Angebilt Hotel on the left and the San Juan Hotel on the right.
Above: Orange Avenue looking south with the Angebilt Hotel on the left and the San Juan Hotel on the right from the June 1923 Orlando Magazine.
View images and magazines by month below.
Orlando Magazine - 1st Issue July 1922, published by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce.
Orlando Magazine - 2nd Issue August 1922, published by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce.
Article from the August 1922 edition of the Orlando Magazine about the newly formed Associated Authors Productions
Orlando Magazine - 3rd Issue September 1922, published by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce.
Orlando Magazine - 4th Issue October 1922
Orlando Magazine - 5th Issue November 1922
Orlando Magazine - 6th Issue December 1922
Orlando Magazine - January 1923
Orlando Potteries - Orlando Magazine - January 1923
Orlando Magazine - February 1923
Curry & Smith Cigar Factory - Orlando Magazine February 1923
Orlando Magazine - March 1923
Orlando Magazine - March 1923 - Albertson Library
Orlando Magazine - April 1923
Orlando Magazine - April 1923 - Orlando Gas Company
Orlando Magazine - May 1923, includes articles on the new Albertson Public Library and the Cathedral School for Girls.
Episcopal Cathedral School for Girls in downtown Orlando was founded in 1900 by Episcopal Bishop Gray. View the 1919 yearbook called "The Gopher," https://stars.library.ucf.edu/cfm-texts/488/
Orlando Magazine - June 1923